Sunday, October 16, 2011

my trusty honda is back up and running

About a month ago I was driving on the freeway on my way home from work. I was almost to my exit when I heard a horrible sound coming from my engine. The only way I can describe it is that my car sounded like it was gurgling metal.... not good! I immediately started to lose power so I pulled to the side of the road and turned off the engine. Of course it would not start again and at that point I was pretty certain the car was dead for good. This sweet little Honda got me through 2 years of commuting back and forth to Cedar City for school and now 3 years of commuting back forth to Hurricane for work.  I have put over 70,000 miles on it in 5 years and have not had a single problem whatsoever... till now of course.
Jeff and I debated between buying a new car, buying another beater car, or trying to fix the Honda. I work on a ranch in the middle of nowhere. Everyday I drive 4 miles on a dirt road that is infamous for ruining cars. We have talked for a few months now about getting a good, new family car. However, it seemed ridiculous to get the car that we want just to drive it on the dirt road everyday. It also seemed ridiculous to waste money on another dirt road-friendly car. So, needless to say, we decided to replace the engine of the Honda and have been making it work with one car for over a month now.

Lucky for us, my wonderful cousin, Spencer, has experience replacing engines on Honda Civics and volunteered to help us out. I don't think he knew at the time what a project it would be. Bless his heart! Jeff will be the first to admit that he doesn't know much about working on cars. This means that Spencer pretty much did the entire project by himself. Despite being a very busy man he spent countless hours at our house until it was finished and we are so grateful. Thank you Spencer! We soooo owe you.

I am so happy to have my little Honda back. With a new engine I'm hoping it lasts forever! Who knows, maybe it can be Cason's first car when he turns 16. Lucky boy :).


No comments:

Post a Comment