Sunday, September 25, 2011

Backyard: it's coming along

 
At the end of spring we decided to start landscaping our backyard.  We got a ton done, but unfortunately it got too hot, too quick and Jeff became extremely busy with school so we had to put the job on hold.  Now that it is officially fall we have finally decided to finish.  As if my amazing husband doesn't have enough on his plate replacing the engine of my car, studying for the GMAT exam, and worrying about selling our truck, he graciously agreed to help me work on the yard this weekend.  And when I say help me, I really mean he did most of the work.  Thanks hon!! 

Saturday morning we rented a rototiller and Jeff tilled the entire backyard.  While he was busy with that I drove to the landfill to pick up some compost (yum) and then proceeded to wheelbarrow it throughout the backyard and mix it in with the loose dirt.  (All by myself I might add.  I am pretty proud of this accomplishment.)  Afterward we fixed up some sprinklers, went shopping for wood chips, and then called it a day.  Today Jeff again worked his butt off to till the playground area.  After he finished I raked it level, spread out the wood chips, put together the park bench, and set up the playground equipment.  It looks amazing and Cason has already shown his approval.

The next step is to plant grass and wait for it to grow.  We debated back and forth between seed and sod and eventually decided on seed.  We would have had to take out a lot of dirt in order to plant sod and decided that it would take too much time and be too much work.  Unfortunately, the down side to seed is that I have to wait 6 weeks to see the results.  I guess it will teach me patience :). So in 6-8 weeks I hopefully will have a beautiful lush lawn in my backyard.  Can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment