Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A backyard in the works!

The backyard is coming right along.  We bought our home as a foreclosure and it had been vacant for about a year when we moved in.  The water had been turned off and the previous owners hadn't taken good care of the yard... or anything for that matter.  The first spring we lived here we were able to get the front yard looking great!  Some of the sprinklers weren't working in the back and we couldn't really salvage the grass.  This year we finally decided to do something.  My dad came over a couple of weekends ago to help us with the sprinklers.  He redid the entire system and did an amazing job!  This kickstarted the whole project.  I am so thankful to him for taking the time out to help us. 

 Cason helping grandpa with sprinklers.  At one point he tried to eat the glue... not good!

We'll probably put an oleander bush or something in to hide the boxes.  Doesn't it look great?

I admit that Cason is my motivation for the whole thing.  He loves to play outside and I want a safe, fun place that he can go anytime he wants.  My sister gave us a playground when they moved a few months ago and I want a nice place for it.  There is a gravel pit next to our shed that we haven't done anything with.  So we are digging it out to put in a sand box.  The playground will sit on top of that.  Digging gravel is hard work and when this is all done I never want to see gravel in my yard again! 

 We had to dig a couple of trees out before even beginning to start on the gravel.  Hard work!
 This isn't a great picture, but we're definitely seeing a change.  It's still a work in progress.
 Before....
..... and after.

The previous owners had also built a weird patio area with landscaping bricks which made the ground very uneven.  We have taken all of that out and built a flowerbed that covers the length of the house and looks amazing!  In doing so we have had to level out the entire back yard.  Which means more digging :(. 

Before...
 ... and after.
 Before...
...and after.  This part of the yard looks so much bigger and open now.

My back and arms hurt so bad, but I am so excited to work on it that I am out there every free minute I have.  Jeff and I really have had a lot of fun working on it together.  We still have a long way to go, but I'm hoping to get everything finished and grass in over the next couple of weeks.  These pictures may not look like much, but I am extremely proud of the work we've done.  I'll post more pictures when it is all done.  I can't wait!!

Cason working hard too!
It must really wear him out because each day that we work out in the yard he seems to take at least a 3 hour nap.  This makes it a bit easier to get things done.  Notice his little feet curled up underneath him.  So adorable!!

And lastly, a quick update on our baby birds.  All 3 are alive and well and the momma bird is VERY protective.  It is so fun to watch her feed them.  The other day she was away, I assume searching for food, so I decided to climb up on the ladder to snap a picture.  Bad idea!!  Apparently she doesn't go very far and is constantly keeping watch.  (She's a good momma!)  Anyway, next thing I know she is flying at my head and squawking uncontrollably.  I did not fall off the ladder, but did get some pretty good scratches from falling face first into the branches.  Jeff was at the store getting more sprinkler supplies at the time and just laughed at me when he got back.  Needless to say I will be leaving the little birdies alone from here on out.  I should know you don't mess with a momma's babies.

I was able to get this shot before the attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment