Sunday, May 29, 2011

Baby Birds

This weekend we started re-landscaping our backyard... YAY!  I keep asking myself why we didn't do this 3 years ago when we bought the house, but am just ECSTATIC that we are doing it now.  I have never been so excited to do hard manual labor in my entire life :).  I will post pictures and more about this when we get farther along, but for now I'll get to the real point of this post...

Yesterday as Jeff was cutting down a tree in our backyard a frightened robin quickly flew out.  Looking a little closer we noticed a nest in the very top branch.  I felt horrible that we had just ruined her home, but even more awful when I saw that 2 baby birds and 1 egg were inside of it.  These birds had to have just hatched!  Determined to save the baby birds we carefully trimmed some of the smaller branches off and secured the larger branch and the nest into another of our trees.  All day I watched and waited for the momma bird to come back.  I was certain that she would not and that we had just killed these poor baby birds.  I know they are just birds, but it was not a good feeling.  Later last night I noticed a robin on our porch with a worm in it's beak.  We waited a few minutes and then went out to check on the nest.  I am happy to report that the momma bird reunited with her babies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment